December 11th 2017
525,600 minutes and I’m thinking up new ways to spend them.
Lately I’ve been craving plans. And I don’t mean the kind of plans like “go to the movies” or “go to a party”. I mean plans. Plans for the future, goals to achieve, little things to get excited about. Life has been feeling sort of tedious as of late, so I have been looking for new ways to get excited for the new year ahead and bring some much needed change into my life.
I know we aren’t even halfway through December, but the new year always creeps up on me, so now I am getting a jump on it and getting prepared!
Here are a list of silly little things I want to do next year (with a list of more specific things coming later this month):
- Cut my hair- I am a scaredy cat wimp when it comes to my hair. When I find a style that is working out okay for me, I stick with it for like…ever. I really want to test out more layers and more of an angle towards the front. Just a little change to leave me feeling fresh.
- More tattoos- I got my first tattoo last summer and I really want another one. I have a very specific one in mind in honor of my college and yoga training graduations that I would like to do in January hopefully.
- Visit the psychic- Some people may find this super silly, but I find going to psychics to be really fun. I have gone to this one woman a couple of times and she has always been right. And she wasn’t even vague about things either. She told me my dad would get a raise in 2 weeks once and exactly 2 weeks later he did. I’d love to check her out again and see if she has anything new and interesting to say. I try not to live my life based on her predictions, but I think the novelty of it all is comforting and fun and at times, offers tons of closure.
- Lose some weight- This is usually the part where people I know say that I’m already thin and should be happy with the way I am, but I don’t think it’s wrong to want to lose weight and adopt a healthy lifestyle so long as you are doing it safely!
- More dance parties- This one is really silly, but lately I’ve been craving a dance party to some good tunes just because. I feel like I don’t take enough time out of my life to just be silly.
- Stop Defaulting- This one may not be that obvious from reading it, but let me explain. Whenever someone asks me how I am, I say “Good, how are you?”. When I don’t know what to do with someone I suggest we go out for coffee or food. When I don’t know what to do with myself, I lay in bed and go on YouTube for hours. I want to stop immediately going to my default solution for everything. I want to stop going to the same 3 restaurants and always ordering the same thing, listening to the same few albums, hanging out with the same few people, saying whatever I think people want to hear. Less default, more authenticity.
- Take more active steps towards my goals- It’s a weird thing with me. I want to succeed so bad, but success almost feels too complicated. I feel like I don’t push myself at blogging enough because I’m afraid I’ll actually succeed and have to learn to do harder stuff tech-wise and will have to take on more responsibility, so I let myself plateau. I do that with many areas of my life and it stops me from trying new things all together.
- Stand up for myself- I can be such a doormat. People ask me to do things and I just say okay because I don’t want to be unreliable. But honestly, it sucks. I feel like some people take advantage of my kindness and I get disappointed when I don’t receive the same support in return. I need to learn to stand by and up for myself.
- Meditation- Plain and simple, I need to meditate more. I used to love meditating every morning and I fell out of the routine. My phone has built in mindfulness tracks, so I want to utilize them.
- Enjoy new music- I support so many artists with my whole heart, but I have been listening to the same albums on repeat for like 4 years. I want to find some new music to enjoy this year.
- Put myself out there- I have gotten so much better at this but there is a long long way to go. I used to be too afraid to talk to people and I was even too afraid to promote my blog until February of this year. I want to put myself out there more. I want to seek more opportunities, say yes to more, and try to push myself out of my comfort zone a bit.
- Save more- I am my bank account’s worst enemy and although I have a decent savings, I know I need to be saving more. I spend beyond my means and as I seek full time employment in 2018, I need to budget and save whatever I can for fun and for my future. Less wasted money on food.
- Reading for fun- Since I started yoga training, I can’t remember the last time I read because I sincerely just felt like it. I have a collection of books building and building and I have had no time or desire to read them. I want to read Lolita, The Alchemist, and The Happiness Project among a wide array of other books filling my shelves.
- I want to write a book- This isn’t really a 2018 exclusive goal. This is just a goal that I have been thinking about a lot lately. I would love to write a book one day. I’m not 100% sure about what, but I think I want it to be in the realm of “self-help” and “personal growth”. I used to think those kinds of books were super campy and corny, but I have found a few I really admire the style of and want to take a stab at trying to write one myself.
- Learn to bake from scratch- I have always want my own special recipe. One that I create with help from other recipes but is entirely my own. I have been playing around with cooking and baking more this year, but I want to get more into trying new things next year.
- Do more charity work- I really want to do more to help the world in any big or small way I can. The world is a really messed up place right now and I want to “be the change I wish to see in the world.” I really want to mentor a kid or something because I feel like I have a lot to offer to the next generation.
- Learn a new skill or find a new hobby- I am sort of into the idea of learning a new skill or hobby. I do yoga and I blog which are both awesome, but I would love to add something fun and new to my list of things to do. I was considering embroidery or maybe some acro yoga classes.
- Take more breaks- This sounds counterproductive since I said at the beginning of the post that I wanted things to look forward to, but I really am looking forward to a break. I need a do nothing day so bad, so I really want to set aside more time to just do nothing next year and relax.
What is on your to do list for next year?