June 14th 2019
Boss up and change your life~
No matter your age or background, it is always possible to enrich your life.
I graduated college in May of 2017 and for the longest time, I thought I was done being a student. However, it has been brought to my attention, over the course of the past couple of years, that we are all students in the school of life and we are never truly finished learning. But as I have grown into that realization, I also realized that it isn’t always life’s duty to teach us what we want to know, but instead, it is our duty to seek out the knowledge ourselves.
Since I have had a lot of time to myself lately, I have decided to learn about new ways to enrich my life and pay extra close attention to what impact certain activities have on my personal growth. I went into this summer with the attitude that I was ready to make some serious changes and I have been trying to put in as much work as I can to get there where I want to be at this point in my life.
If you haven’t put much thought into ways you could be enriching your life, consider this list a quick foundation for you to brainstorm off of. But, before we get into the list, I want to define what I view to be “enrichment”.
By my personal definition, enrichment is anything that can add value to your life. This can be knowledge, a new skill, an experience, a belief system, and just about anything else that brings a new depth to your life.
Here are a few ways you can enrich your life and put yourself on a steady path to growth:
- Take online courses- This has been on the forefront of my mind recently because my eyes have just been opened to this concept. I never realized how many online courses are available completely for free! I was introduced to the idea of online courses when I started looking into getting certifications to add to my resume and I honestly fell in love with the whole process. I consider myself a “forever student” who genuinely loves to learn, so to be able to take courses at my own pace on things I care about really interests me. Currently, I am using Hubspot Academy and Google Analytics Academy to learn some valuable work skills to add to my resume, but I have also been looking into blogging courses and social media courses to use on a personal level to help my own pages grow. Overall, I find free online courses (or paid if you have the cash flow) to be a great enrichment tool.
- Get physical- I have been doing yoga at least once a week (but primarily 4 times a week) for the past almost 5 years, and it has done so much in terms of adding value to my life. Yoga helped bring me into a new community and a whole new way of approaching life. I met tons of people, learned a lot about mindfulness practices, and even got certified to teach (which will add actual monetary value to my life down the line). But yoga isn’t the only physical activity with the power to enrich your life! Going to the gym, taking up a sport, or trying out a new physical activity is a great way to meet new people, learn more about yourself, and take care of your body. The physical enrichment alone is already substantially valuable, but the community you can build through an active lifestyle is truly priceless.
- Find your creative outlet- Discovering my knack for writing was honestly one of the most life-changing things I ever experienced. Since starting this blog, I feel like so much value has been added to my life and I have grown tremendously as a person. The key thing to remember when finding your creative outlet is that you don’t have to be good, you just need to feel motivated or inspired by whatever you’re doing. Whether it be painting, photography, playing a musical instrument, writing, drawing, dancing, making jewelry, knitting, or just about any activity imaginable, finding a creative activity that speaks to you can really change your world! And don’t be afraid to dabble! Try out a bunch of activities until you find a creative space that makes you feel comfortable and excited.
- Travel near or far- Get out of your house. That is something that I haven’t been doing enough of lately, but getting out and exploring the world around you can teach you so much. Travel far to experience new cultures and ways of life (even within you’re own country!), or stay close to home and learn about what your local area has to offer. There is so much you can gain from just being open to exploring the world around you.
- Get outside- Nature honestly brings so much value to your life that you don’t even realize. Piggybacking off of the previous example, getting out and exploring nature can help you grow so much as a person. Putting your phone down and admiring the world around you can offer you insights into who you really are and can give you experiences that staring at pictures on a phone can’t replicate.
- Read more- Sometimes the knowledge you seek has already been written and is tucked inside the pages of a good book. There is so much we can learn from just reading the thoughts and words of other people. And this isn’t limited to just non-fiction and self-help books! Any book can offer you a unique experience that can add value to your life. My favorite book, A Tale For The Time Being by Ruth Ozeki, is completely fiction but has done so much to add value to my life and has changed my mindset towards things in many ways. Taking in written word in books or online is a great way to be enriched. And, although they aren’t books, podcasts can offer similar enriching qualities!
What are some ways you try to add value to your life? What are some of your favorite enrichment activities?!