March 28th 2018
The most important thing to remember when traveling is to be prepared for anything and everything~
I have a road trip coming up in a few weeks and I am getting a bit excited. You see, I’ve had the travel bug for quite some time now and I have been eager to get back out and explore. I don’t want to give away where I am going but I know it is about a 4 hour car ride from home. That being said, I figured I would share what I usually keep in my road trip carry-on.
When I take a road trip I usually have bags I keep in the back seat and bags I keep in the trunk. The trunk stuff is the stuff that I won’t need during the drive but will need during my stay at wherever I’m going. So clothes, shoes, most toiletry items, etc. My road trip carry-on is what I keep in the car with me that has all of the stuff I could need while driving! Here is a list of what I take!:
- Water- Stay hydrated especially on long drives where you don’t realize how long you’ve gone without drinking. Staying hydrated helps you to stay awake and alert, and also keeps your skin feeling nice and hydrated even after being stuck in the car for long periods of time.
- A book- This is only really good if I am not the one driving. A book is a great way to pass the time productively and a long car ride is a great place to get the finish that’s been staring at you from the shelves! If you are driving however, podcasts and audio books are also a great way to pass time.
- Phone– I always have my phone nearby just in case of emergency! Whether my GPS stops working, my car breaks down, or I just need some music or a camera. My phone is the best multipurpose tool I could ask for.
- Chargers- Chargers in the car are a must. I have made the mistake of leaving them in my bag in the trunk and it sucked. Very little can be done with a dead phone on a road trip spanning a few hours. Always keep a charger close by so your phone is fully charged and ready to go just in case anything is to happen!
- Snacks- I love good road trip snacks. I always try to make a 711 run before heading out on the road. Keeping snacks around also helps avoid having to stop to get lunch at a rest stop and keeps you going longer on the road. My favorite road trip snacks are potato chips, fruit, and mixed nuts!
- A Small Bag of Toiletries- I keep a small bag of “emergency toiletries” with me whenever I go on a road trip because after reaching my destination or once I get to a rest stop, I want to freshen up a bit. I usually keep hand sanitizer, lotion, makeup wipes, aspirin/other medications, chapstick, and concealer with me at all times so I don’t have to go anywhere feeling less than fresh.
- My Wallet- Always keep your wallet close by. And whenever you go on a trip, make sure you always have a good supply of cash in case of an emergency. That was a tip from my momma and I choose to live by it. You never want to be stranded without cash.
Being prepared with a good carry-on can turn a good road trip into a great road trip! What is your favorite road trip snack?!