July 15th 2020
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step~
I have been on a huge personal growth kick recently and, of all the kicks to be on, I definitely think this is the most productive. I think that taking some time to focus on some genuine, and sometimes uncomfortable, growth is super important every now and then in order to realign yourself with whatever you are hoping to attain in life.
My personal growth kick was brought on by a few life events but the overarching reason that I’ve decided to make a change in my life is because I really don’t know what my next step is. While I am okay with where I am at, I do not believe I have hit my “personal ceiling” yet.
I had a talk about a personal ceiling with a friend the other day and, in its essence, a personal ceiling is your highest perceived potential or the peak version of “self” you hope to reach. For me, I feel like I have a long way to go before I reach my personal ceiling but I figure if I lean in really hard now and try to get into the habit of doing certain positive behaviors, I will start seeing the change accumulate more and more over time.
So here are a list of my small steps towards my personal ceiling:
- I have been spending a lot of alone time with myself- I have always valued my alone time but, in recent years, I have found that I have been taking less and less of it because I just enjoy company instead of being left alone with my thoughts. So now, I am challenging myself to be alone for a bit, enjoy the peace and quiet of my own apartment and taking some time to seriously reflect on my personal thoughts. I am thinking about what I want from my career, my love life, my social life, and life as an entity. It has been tough and I have come to grips with a lot, but the alone time has been worth it.
- I’ve been trying to eat healthier and trying to eat actual meals- Anyone who knows me knows I have a horrible tendency of skipping meals or taking a “latte lunch”. I have a terrible habit of skipping meals when work gets busy or when I am not feeling motivated enough to put in the effort to eat. That being said, I wrote out a real proper grocery list the last time I went to the store and stocked up on healthy meals and snacks and I have been feeling a lot better.
- I am slowly beginning to move my body again- I fell out of working out and yoga for a really long while for a number of reasons, but the major reason being lack of motivation. Recently, I have been feeling more inclined to roll my mat out and even just do some light stretching. But of all my steps, I have the farthest to go here.
- I started writing again- This one was one of the most important steps I have taken so far because I feel like writing offers me a lot of clarity and insight in my head space and personal growth. When I fall out of writing, I often find that I am “mentally congested” and have a lot of pent up thoughts that I haven’t been able to do anything with. Writing has given me the outlet to express my feelings on topics like personal growth, overcoming loss or sadness, and it reminds me of the goals I set for myself.
- I have begun putting more effort into my appearance- I think it is funny how something as small as doing my hair or makeup one day can really change my perception of myself and my personal power. While I am beautiful and capable with or without makeup, I find that putting myself together and feeling confident makes people take notice. I have had people I haven’t heard from in years reach out just to tell me I am looking happier and that means a lot.
So far that is where I am with taking small steps but I hope to achieve even more soon and continue growing into the person I hope to be. I want to elevate my energy to reach people who are like-minded and supportive connections for me and I want to start working towards discovering what I truly want out of life.
What is one way you’re working towards your personal ceiling?