September 13th 2019
Exploring the many methods of self-care~
I have decided to really lean into the whole self-care September thing this month and not only use it as an excuse to write some fun self-help content, but also to give me a break and excuse to take care of myself a bit more. So tonight I am on video chat with my friend, Angie, and I am asking her to help me compile this list of unique self-care activities for when you need a bit of a pick-me-up.
Lately I have sort of been down in the dumps from being overwhelmed at work, insecure about a few personal things, and homesick for New York and I want to use this list as something to help others while also helping myself. So, without further ado, here are a few self-care activities to try out to get yourself in a feel good mood:
- Get dressed up for no reason- Angie came up with this first one and I love it. I love the idea of looking good and feeling good. Getting dressed up and ready for no special occasion is a great way to increase your mood. Just putting a little extra effort into yourself because you can is a great way to show yourself some love.
- Make a self-care playlist- When I am feeling extra down, I usually like to curate a playlist for myself. This year, my curated playlist has just been my 2019 playlist of my current favorite songs, but I think it’d be a great practice to just make yourself playlists for any occasion and listen to them when you need a boost.
- Get moving- Sometimes when I am feeling down, I don’t have the motivation to get out of bed. However, I find that when I do make time to workout or get moving, I feel a thousand times better. Even if it is just taking a walk around the block, getting your blood pumping and your body moving is a great way to take care of yourself.
- Take yourself on a date- It doesn’t have to be extravagant, but taking yourself out on a date is a great form of self-care. Go grab some coffee, take a walk around your favorite store and treat yourself, or go see a movie alone. Enjoying some time to decompress and enjoy your own company is a great form of self-care.
- Make a gratitude list- This is another great one from Angie! Making a list of things you’re grateful for, things you love about yourself, or reasons to be happy is a great form of self-care that you can do anywhere and anytime! Having a good method of “on-the-go” self-care can be great if you don’t have the time to dedicate to a more extensive activity! Here is my list of 5 things I like about myself and I challenge you to try it yourself:
- I am hard working as heck. I worked my primary job for 8 hours today, came home and worked 3 more hours for my second job, then wrote this post.
- I am a good friend. I always try to make my friends feel heard and appreciated.
- I am thoughtful. I work very hard to be considerate of people’s situations and feelings and try to be mindful with how I treat people and go the extra mile to make people happy.
- I am well-spoken. I feel so lucky to be a strong writer and speaker and that I can relay my ideas to people relatively easily most of the time.
- I am constantly improving. I always make an effort to be better and recognize my flaws as room to grow.
I hope this list helped you out in getting started with a new self-care routine! What is your favorite atypical self-care activity?