September 4th 2018
How 5 small changes can yield big results~
I have written a few posts about life hacks over the past year, but I feel like September is always a good time to circle back around to the topic and share a few more ideas about how to live more efficiently, since it is back to school time as well as the end of summer festivities.
I wouldn’t consider this list to be “life hacks” really, but instead just some gentle advice and habits to adopt. These are just a few things that I have started doing this year that I have felt made a difference in my productivity and overall well-being:
- Get out of bed when your alarm goes off- This is such a simple one that I still struggle with from time to time. However, getting out of bed right when your alarm goes off is not only a great way to maximize your time in the morning, but also gives your body the shock it needs to get going. (Bonus tips about waking up: 1) Try to set alarms every morning, even weekends, as to not waste the day and 2) Try to wake up similar times each day so your body can get adjusted to waking up at certain times comfortably.)
- Stop saying you’re “too busy” to do things you’re putting off- I am guilty of this and I know people who are super guilty of this as well. STOP SAYING YOU DON’T HAVE TIME! If you have the time to binge two seasons of a show on Netflix in one night, then you have time to get the tasks you’ve been putting off done. If you want to go to the gym, THEN GO. Don’t say you don’t have time then spend all day on the couch with a friend. There is no reason not to take even 30 minutes out of your day to get stuff done.
- Put things away- This is sort of a hack of mine that I started doing recently, but put things that need to be put away, on your bed. That way, you need to move them to go to sleep which encourages you to just put them away. I do that with my clothes to keep them from ending up on “the chair” (everyone has had a chair they pile stuff onto), or on the floor. I even put the hangers I got the clothes off of on my bed so I can hang them and put them straight away with minimal effort.
- Dedicate time to hobbies- How does dedicating time to hobbies help you live life more efficiently, you might ask? Well, first of all, hobbies offer you a break from how tedious life can be, but also dedicating time to hobbies allows you time to develop them. I try to practice tarot reading a few times a week, if not daily. I practice yoga 4-7 days a week, I blog a little bit every day that I have time. Dedicating time to hobbies doesn’t have to be irresponsible or take away from actual primary responsibilities, but it does make life more well rounded.
- Write goals down somewhere where you can see them- I like to write goals on my blog in the form of seasonal bucket lists, but I also like to write long-term goals down in my phone. Big trips I want to take, things I want to learn, activities I want to try, and more all written down. How does this change your life though? By getting in the habit of writing your goals down and looking at them regularly, you can start taking tangible steps towards them. You want to buy a house? Write it down, link a listing, keep it in your mind constantly, and base your actions around your desired outcome. Once you attach reasons to save money, eat better, work harder, or study more to a desired outcome, the more likely you will be to act in accordance to your desires.
If you want to read more about different life hacks, habits, and practices that can change your life, check out some of my other posts!:
New Year, New You: Simple Hacks to Stay on Track this Year!
New Year, New You: 15 Life Changing Habits to Adopt this Year!
Wellness Wednesday: Simple Changes to Improve Your Life this Spring