July 13th 2018
Stopping to smell the roses~
I have found that, in this day and age, many of us feel the pressure to be going 24/7. We find that life only has value if we are constantly moving and doing things. However, what if this perpetual motion of life is actually causing it to lose value? How much do we miss out on when we are so focused on keeping busy? What do we fail to appreciate as we whiz on by?
Maybe we could all value from slowing down a bit. A common misconception about relaxing and slowing down is that it comes off as lazy or unproductive. However, I find that taking time to slow down is a productive act all in itself. You are not only allowing yourself a form of self-care, you are also adding value to your life. By taking a break every once and a while, you allow yourself to experience life less passively. You begin to take notice of the world around you more and a universe of new possibilities will begin to open up.
Here are just a few small ways to slow down:
- Don’t take your coffee to go- Sit down. Enjoy a good cup of coffee or tea and the atmosphere of a good coffee shop. Listen to some music, read a book, write a little, or just simply observe your surroundings.
- Take a different route- Whether you are walking or driving somewhere, try a different route. Take it easy and slow and observe your surroundings. You may find that this new path has a lot to offer.
- Get creative- Slow down by taking the time to express yourself creatively! Paint, draw, sew, dance, sing, write, garden, etc.! Express yourself and create a tangible reminder of the benefits of slowing down.
- Call, don’t text- Want to be social? Try calling a friend instead of texting. Phone calls require more undivided attention so you will spend more time being engaged with your friend than you would be while switching between 10 different apps while texting.
- Break routine- Breaking routine requires some thought and planning. By stepping out of the usual bustle of life, you might discover there has been a lot you have been missing out on!
- Sit outside- When the weather is nice, enjoy it. Take walks during your lunch break. Read outside. Eat lunch in the park. Sit at the beach for a sunset. There is so much that happens in nature that we completely miss while we are rushing through life.
It is not difficult to step away from the rush of day to day. Start small and soon you will realize that simply slowing down may be the fastest way to get where you want to be~