January 4th 2019
Healthy habits are the foundation for a happy new year!
I spent a large majority of December thinking about what sort of healthy habits I want to try to form for 2019. I feel like I made great strides last year in improving my mental and physical health and I want this year to follow the same trend. So early December last year, I put together a list of things I want to get into doing this year in order to live a richer and healthier life.
- Incorporate yoga and meditation into my daily routine- I currently attend yoga classes 4 days a week. However, I find that I have plateaued and really want to get back into my practice. I was heavily inspired by Kalyn Nicholson’s practice and how much she has improved in a year so I am determined to do the same for myself. I feel like bringing more yoga into my life will not only help me physically and mentally, but also help me grow as a teacher.
- Make time to meal prep- I want to get into this habit for two reasons. One reason is because I find that if I meal prep yummy food, I am less likely to binge on unhealthy stuff at work. And reason number two is that I want to learn to cook more because I will be moving into my own place within the next year or so and want to be prepared to fend for myself instead of eating take out every night.
- Read before bed- I have this horrible tendency to stay on YouTube until the minute I shut my light off and sleep. I want to give myself a cut off time for YouTube and start reading to wind down before bed. Not only will I get more books done, less technology before bed should improve my sleep.
- Monthly declutters- I really want to get in the habit of decluttering my space regularly. It usually takes until I am drowning in stuff before I decide to declutter. Now I want to take a little time once a month to just go through things and start getting rid of unnecessary junk.
- Dedicate time to blogging- Now you think that this one would be added because I am not dedicating enough time to blogging, however it is quite the opposite. Sometimes I just don’t know when to stop and after a long day at work, I spend 3-4 additional hours writing, editing, taking photos, and planning future posts. I really want to set aside daily time for blogging as opposed to squeezing tons of time into one day and driving myself crazy.
- Try new restaurants- I was going to say try one new restaurant a month, but I don’t know if I can commit to the habit. However, I do want to try getting in the habit of trying new places instead of gravitating towards the same few chains I know and trust.
Overall, my number one habit that I want to adopt is to stop making excuses for why I haven’t started making much needed changes to my life. I want to get in the habit of holding myself accountable for these 6 things in the hopes of improving my life during what is sure to be a very eventful and pivotal year.
What is one habit you hope to adopt this year?